The components of vaccines are a bit scary in and of themselves, specially when you realize they are going into 7 lb. infants, or 18 lb. toddlers. I am just not anti-vaccination. Neither am I pro-vaccination. I’ve been looking at this matter for 15 years. I’ve talked with parents who are certain that a vaccination caused their children’s autism. I’ve also talked with pros who are equally certain that vaccinations do not cause autism or any other developmental disorder.
So, let’s just get started with something basic. What is in a vaccination?
1) Antigens: The infectious agent is definitely the primary constituent of every vaccine. Such as antigens like hepatitis B, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus (DTP), haemophilus influenzae B (Hib), inactivated polio virus (IPV), and pneumococcal antigen (one cause of pneumonia).
2) Aluminum: This really is utilized to raise the antigenic response by trapping the antigen and creating a slow discharge of it. Aluminum inside the blood is associated with allergy, motor paralysis, local numbness, fatty degeneration of kidneys and liver, learning disabilities, dementia, and seizures.
3) Formaldehyde: This can be utilized to inactivate the bacterial and viral antigens. Being exposed to formaldehyde is associated to cancer, vertigo, coma, and death. There is no known threshold level below which there is certainly not a threat of cancer.
4) Thimerosal: Also called merthiolate, thimerosal hails from mercury and has been used being a preservative and disinfectant in vaccines. Mercury is probably the most potent neurotoxins known to humans. In July 1999, the FDA requested that manufacturers of vaccines remove thimerosal from U.S. licensed vaccines. This occurred after it was said that cumulative exposure of infants to mercury during the first 6 months of life exceeded EPA guidelines. Thimersol continues to be found in flu vaccines and in vaccines distributed in other countries. Recent scientific studies are showing that thimerosal is more prevalent in vaccines now than it was in 1999!
5) Other Components: These include phenol which is often used in the extraction process of making vaccines and is also a very toxic substance derived from coal tar which can cause shock, convulsions, cardiac failure, kidney failure, and death. Ethanol, methanol, isopropyl and 2 phenoxyethanol are alcohols which can be used as antiseptics to hinder the growth and reproduction of microorganisms in vaccines. And there are the unwanted or unknown components that only occur during the process. It is particularly hard to establish reasons for side effects due to these unknown substances.
So, what are we to make of the? I’m unsure. Does it mean vaccines are unsafe? I don’t know. Are these substances I might knowingly inject into my very own children’s bloodstreams? No — not without some solid, compelling evidence that it would be with their benefit.
Vaccine proponents say the proof of benefit is clear. Vaccine opponents say the proof of benefit is far from clear which the science behind vaccinations is fairly shabby. Before making a choice, weigh the sumlds carefully. On the pro side of vaccinations, visit the Centers for Disease Control (cdc.gov). For the con side of vaccinations, go to the National Vaccine Information Center (nvic.org).